Amoula il Majnoona

Amoula's blog from Ramallah

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Hasan Hourani

a moment....a breath...for Hasan


This post is for my friend Hasan who left us 5 years ago today....

I wrote this in August of 2003:

I see Hasan everywhere..in the streets of Ramallah and New York, on the subway, in Ziryab and in Union Square, in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens. Whenever I think of Hasan I see him laughing and happy. I was overjoyed when Hasan told me he was coming to New York. I couldn't wait.

Hasan arrived in New York in the spring of 2001 full of energy, big ideas and big plans. He charmed and amazed everyone around him with his joy of life, his free spirit and his dreams. I loved being by his side. Hasan loved people and made many friends from every walk of life and background. There are so many stories to tell about his life in New York. There were the days in Union Square, his dancing, his art projects, his solo exhibition, the demonstrations, the eggs he cooked, September 11th, and much, much more.

Before I left New York last May, he told me he was going to South Africa to live on a beach and work on his book. Months later, I was happily surprised to see him in his beloved Ramallah. The last time I saw Hasan was the night before his death. He came to my house bursting with joy from being back in Palestine. He had just found a house in Jifna in which he was going to
settle in to finish his book.

I left the day after Hasan's funeral. As the plane flew over Jaffa, I looked down at the sea and remembered the necklace Hasan loved to wear. A white spoon with a scoop of blue glass, like a spoonful of sea, hung from his neck. He used to laugh and say he wore it so that he could take the sea with him wherever he went.

I know Hasan will be with many of us wherever we go.

10 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Allah yirhamak ya Hassan..

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. hard to believe it's been 5 years.. hasan was a wonderful and truly special person. he is deeply missed.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger masada said...

i feel srry 4 the ppl who havent meet him which includes me lo0ol. as a person who have viseted all of these places i no the joy u mean .but as a person who lost a loved one like this amazing person i dont no how it feel bas u made every one eho read it feel this pain <3 i no this is kinda late but im srry 4 ur lost

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger masada said...

who*

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

allah yerhamak Hasan, you were unique, young and full of life, you will always be missed

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger littlemermaid said...

I encountered Hasan's drawings after he died and was hoping that his children's book was to be finished and published - his drawings are inspirational and touched the child in me. The film is a wonderful tribute to his life. Yours sincerely, Krissy McGrath, England

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger littlemermaid said...

I encountered Hasan's drawings in the Guardian newspaper after he died and have been hoping that his book would be finished and published. He was inspirational and touched the child in me. The film was a tribute to his life.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous bad credit business loans said...

I discovered your web site via Google while looking for a related subject, lucky for me your web site came up, its a great website. I have bookmarked it in my Google bookmarks. You really are a phenomenal person with a brilliant mind!

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.cafb29b24.org/docs/buyativan/#for-sale ativan online with prescription - ativan side effects pupils

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home